Who Are They?
McKinney-Vento eligible children are those who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime abode. In general, children or youth living in motels, transitional housing, shelters, the street, cars, abandoned buildings, and other inadequate accommodations may be considered eligible for McKinney-Vento services. This includes, but is not limited to, the following groups:
- Doubled-up Children - living with another family due to lack of a permanent residence.
- Children in Shelters - including transitional living programs
- Children Living in Motels - due to lack of alternative adequate living situation
- Migratory Children - if accommodations are not fit for habitation
- Runaways* - children who have left home and live in a shelter or inadequate accommodations, even if parents are willing to provide a home
- Lockouts* - children whose parents or guardians will not permit them to live at home.
* These two categories are Unaccompanied Homeless Youth (UHY), child not in the physical custody of their parent or court-ordered guardian and lack a fixed, regular and adequate abode.
What Are Their Rights?
The Education for Homeless Children and Youth program, as part of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act ensures eligible children have the right to:
- Choice of School - McKinney-Vento Eligible children may attend their school of origin (school last attended or school attended when child lost permanent housing) or attend the school that serves their temporary living situation. Their Caregiver makes the choice.
- Immediate Enrollment - even if medical or other records, birth certificates, transcripts, cannot be produced at time of enrollment
- Transportation - if requested, transportation must be provided
- Preschool - priority consideration to preschool programs for eligible youngsters
- Free Lunch & Fee Waivers - categorically eligible for free lunch
- Supplemental Tutoring - if needed
If you think you might qualify for McKinney-Vento services please contact your school, McKinney-Vento Liaison at 847-498-2610 or email@example.com.
For more information you can access the contact information for your local Regional McKinney-Vento liaison at https://www.isbe.net/Documents/Subgrant-Liaison-Contact-List.pdf