Section 7:60

Northbrook School District 27 Header
October 2023



Resident Students

Only students who are residents of the District may attend a District school without a tuition charge, except as otherwise provided below or in State law. A student’s residence is the same as the person who has legal custody of the student.

Legal Custody

A person asserting legal custody over a student, who is not the child’s biological or adoptive parent, shall complete a signed statement, stating: (a) that he or she has assumed and exercises legal responsibility for the child, (b) the reason the child lives with him or her, other than to receive an education in the District, and (c) that he or she exercises full control over the child regarding daily educational and medical decisions in case of emergency. If the District knows the current address of the child's natural or adoptive parent, the District shall request in writing that the person complete a signed statement or affidavit stating: (a) the role and responsibility of the person with whom their child is living, and (b) that the person with whom the child is living has full control over the child regarding daily educational and medical decisions in case of emergency.

Change of Residence

A student whose family moves out of the District during the school year will be permitted to attend school for the remainder of the year without payment of tuition.

Change of Residence for Military Service

When a student’s change of residence is due to the military service obligation of the student’s legal custodian, the custodian may make a written request to deem that student’s residence unchanged for the duration of the military obligation. The District, however, is not responsible for the student’s transportation to or from school. If, at the time of enrollment, a dependent child of military personnel is housed in temporary housing located outside of the District, but will be living within the District within six months after the time of initial enrollment, the child is allowed to enroll, subject to the requirements of State law, and must not be charged tuition.

Residence of Students with Disabilities

The residence of a child with a disability is determined in accordance with 105 ILCS 5/14-1.11, 5/14-1.11a, and 5/14-1.11b

Requests for Nonresident Student Admission - Employee Request

A nonresident child of a current employee (employee who works 50% or more) may attend District schools on a tuition-free basis upon the approval of a request submitted by the employee for nonresident admission. For purposes of this paragraph, "child" means a District employee's child who is a biological child, adopted child, foster child, stepchild, or a child for which the employee serves as a legal guardian.  The Superintendent may approve the request subject to the following:
  1. The child will attend on a year-to-year basis.  Approval for any one year is not an authorization to attend the following year.
  2. The child will be accepted only if there is sufficient room as determined at the sole discretion of the Administration.
  3. The Superintendent or designee will determine which school the child may attend if there is more than one option available.
  4. The employee will be solely responsible for the child’s transportation to and from school.
  5. The child’s attendance will end the same day the employee’s employment ends unless otherwise approved by the Superintendent.
  6. The child is subject to all of the District’s policies, rules, procedures, and directives that apply to resident students.
  7. The child’s attendance will not materially interfere with the employee’s performance of their job duties and related obligations (e.g. coaching, club sponsor, after-school meetings, etc.).

Admission of Nonresident Students Pursuant to an Agreement or Order

Subject to superintendent approval, nonresident students may attend District schools pursuant to:

  1. an intergovernmental agreement;
  2. a binding order from a court having appropriate jurisdiction;
  3. a written agreement with cultural exchange organizations or an institution supported by charity to provide for tuition-free attendance by foreign exchange students; or
  4. State or federal law requiring the District to accept nonresident students.

Homeless Children

Any homeless child shall be immediately admitted, even if the child or child’s parent/guardian is unable to produce records normally required to establish residency. School Board policy 6:140, Education of Homeless Children, and its implementing administrative procedure, govern the enrollment of homeless children.

Challenging a Student’s Residence Status

If the Superintendent or designee determines that a student attending school on a tuition-free basis is a nonresident of the District for whom tuition is required to be charged, he or she on behalf of the School Board shall notify the person who enrolled the student of the tuition amount that is due. The notice shall detail the specific reasons why the Board believes that the student is a nonresident of the District and shall be given by certified mail, return receipt requested. The person who enrolled the student may challenge this determination and request a hearing as provided by the School Code, 105 ILCS 5/1020.12b.

  • 42 U.S.C. §11431 et seq., McKinneyVento Homeless Assistance Act.
  • 105 ILCS 5/10-20.12a, 5/10-20.12b, 5/10-22.5, 5/10-22.5a, 5/14-1.11, 5/14-1.11a, and 5/14-1.11b.
  • 105 ILCS 45/, Education for Homeless Children Act.
  • 105 ILCS 70/, Educational Opportunity for Military Children Act.
  • 23 Illinois Admin. Code §1.240.
  • Israel S. by Owens v. Bd. of Educ. of Oak Park and River Forest High Sch. Dist. 200, 235 Ill.App.3d 652 (5th Dist. 1992).
  • Joel R. v. Board of Education of Manheim School District 83, 292 Ill.App.3d 607 (1st Dist. 1997)
  • Kraut v. Rachford, 51 Ill.App.3d 206 (1st Dist. 1977).
  • Section 6:140 (Education of Homeless Children)
  • Section 7:50 (School Admissions and Student Transfers To and From Non-District Schools)
  • Section 7:70 (Attendance and Truancy)
REVIEW HISTORY 2009, 2010, 2017, 2022, February 2024