Student wellness, including good nutrition and physical activity, shall be promoted in the District’s educational program. The Superintendent or designee will ensure each school building complies with this policy.
Goals for Nutrition Education
The goals for addressing nutrition education include the following:
- Nutrition education will be part of the District’s comprehensive health education curriculum. See School Board policy 6:60, Curriculum Content.
- Schools will instruct students about the positive relationship between sound nutrition, physical activity, and the capacity of students to develop and learn.
Goals for Physical Activity
The goals for addressing physical activity include the following:
- Schools will support and promote an active lifestyle for students.
- Physical education will be taught in all grades and shall include a developmentally planned and sequential curriculum that fosters the development of movement skills, enhances health-related fitness, increases students’ knowledge, offers direct opportunities to learn how to work cooperatively in a group setting, and encourages healthy habits and attitudes for a healthy lifestyle. See Board policy 6:60, Curriculum Content.
- During the school day, all students in state mandated grades will be required to engage in a daily physical education course, unless otherwise exempted. See Board policy 6:60, Curriculum Content.
- The curriculum will be consistent with and incorporate relevant Illinois Learning Standards for Physical Development and Health as established by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
|REVIEW HISTORY||2018, 2019, May 2022|