2018-2019 Tentative Budget Approved
The Board of Education approved the tentative budget for the 2018-2019 school year on July 19th.
The $27.9 million budget represents a 2.89% increase in operating expenses, of which $550,000 is allocated towards contingencies, compared to last year's budget. Dr. Kimberly Arakelian, the Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Operations, reported to the Board a balanced budget.
"The District remains in a healthy financial position," Dr. Arakelian said.
Dr. Arakelian said the District must continue to implement cost-containment measures, as well as monitor property tax freeze legislation, school funding reform, pension obligations, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
A copy of the tentative budget is available for inspection at the District 27 offices, 1250 Sanders Road, through September 27th. A public hearing will be held on September 6th, followed by adoption of the budget on September 27th.
The following staff members were hired during July and August:
- Kathryn Bode, kindergarten teacher at Hickory Point,
- Donna Drakopoulos, library assistant at Hickory Point,
- Molly Kuhn, instructional aide at Wood Oaks,
- Carolyn Serren, instructional aide at Shabonee,
- Emily Macklin, long-term math sub at Wood Oaks,
- Vishna Patel, long-term math sub at Wood Oaks, and
- Robyn Franklin, administrative assistant for business services, District office.
Additionally, the Board accepted retirement requests from Karen Kornick (in 2023,) and Gerald Windels (in August, 2018.)