Board Members Sworn In
Three Board members were sworn in Thursday for a second term on the District 27 Board of Education.
Frank Andreou, Brian Paich and Alex Frum were sworn in after having won re-election on April 2nd. They are joined on the Board by Melissa Copeland, Ed Feld, Laurie Garber-Amram, and Helen Melnick.
In other action, board members elected Mrs. Melnick as Board President and Mr. Frum as Vice President.
Technology Budget Approved
The Board of Education approved the technology plan and budget for the 2019-2020 school year. As part of the plan the following updates will be made:
- At Wood Oaks, 19 new interactive Smart panels and 37 wireless projectors will be installed,
- At Shabonee, 185 new Chromebooks will be purchased for students to use in their classrooms,
- At HIckory Point, 120 Chromebooks (formerly used by eighth graders at Wood Oaks) will be repurposed for student use, and
- New security cameras will be installed in all District buildings.
The upgrades, along with annual District expenses, are estimated to cost $933,000.
Final Day of School
The Board approved the final revised calendar after making adjustments for emergency days. As such, the last day of school will be June 10th.
Hickory Point students will attend school on June 10th from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; Shabonee students will attend from 8:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.; and sixth and seventh graders will attend from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. The last day of school for eighth graders will be May 30th. They will be dismissed at 1:15 p.m.
The Board approved the following personnel transactions:
- Hired Emily Macklin as a fifth grade Math/Science/Social Studies teacher at Shabonee
- Hired Bethany Louis as a fifth grade Reading Language Arts teacher at Shabonee
The board of Education also approved:
- Student fees for 2019-2020, which remain the same as the previous school year
- A contract with AT&T through 2021 to provide bandwidth services to act as a secondary connection the District at an annual cost of $22,500.
Science Fair Presentation
The Board also announced the start of the Board Working Session on May 16th will be set aside for presentations of Science Fair projects by Wood Oaks students. The presentations will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Wood Oaks Commons.